by Moody Adams It is estimated that 90% of men who have sex with men and as many as 5% to 10% of sexually active women engage in receptive anal intercourse.
WebMD, Sexual Health Center reports, “Anal sex has a number of health risks. Anal intercourse is the riskiest form of sexual activity for several reasons, including the following:
1. Spreads Sexually Transmitted Diseases The anus lacks the natural lubrication the vagina has. Penetration can tear the tissue inside the anus, allowing bacteria and viruses to enter the bloodstream. (WebMD Sexual Health Center). Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD’s) can and do occur around the anus and inside the rectum, including intestinal parasites, gonorrhea, HIV, chlamydia, syphilis, herpes, HPV, and hepatitis.
2. 30 times more apt to give you AIDS Studies have suggested that anal exposure to HIV poses 30 times more risk for the receptive partner than vaginal exposure. University of Illinois McKinley Health Center adds, “It is important to note that HIV, the virus causing AIDS, can be transmitted through anal sex, especially anal intercourse. (Discovery Fit and Healthy, by Sinclair Intimacy Institute).
3. Exposure to the human papillomavirus (HPV) may also lead to the development of anal warts and anal cancer. Using lubricants can help some, but doesn't completely prevent tearing.
4. Can require wearing diapers in some cases. The anus was designed to hold in feces. The anus is surrounded with a ring-like muscle, called the anal sphincter. Repetitive anal sex can lead to weakening of the anal sphincter, making it difficult to hold in feces until you can get to the toilet. This can force someone to wear diapers. Even though serious injury from anal sex is not common, it can occur. Bleeding after anal sex could be due to a hemorrhoid or tear, or something more serious such as a perforation (hole) in the colon. This is a dangerous problem that requires immediate medical attention. Treatment involves a hospital stay, surgery, and antibiotics to prevent infection.
A blogger wrote, “I used to have no bowel problems until I started anally pleasuring myself. I never used anything bigger than a penis and it never hurt, but yet I somehow managed to develop a huge medical bowel problem. My bowels literally started falling out of my anus in a condition known as Internal Hemorrhoids. … And I only did it about 13 times! So frequent anal insertion can and will most likely lead to internal or external Hemorrhoids.
5. Anal sex a factor in lowering birthrate. Anal Intercourse diverts the power sex drive and along with abortion is helping to plunge our birthrate to record lows. The Pew Research Center says, the country’s birth rate in 2011 was 63.2 per 1,000 women. That’s the lowest since at least 1920, when the government began keeping reliable birth rate statistics. During most of the 1970s and 1980s women gave birth to fewer than 2 children on average, a rate insufficient to replace the population.