PROOF CONFLICT IN EGYPT COULD MARK CHRIST'S SOON RETURN
by Moody Adams Hundreds of thousands of angry Egyptians gathered in the country`s largest-ever political rally to demand President Hosni Mubarak`s ouster. . . . (and) set Friday as the deadline for the President to resign. Mubarak, is reminiscent of a former ruler of Egypt: “Pharaoh king of Egypt is but a noise; he hath passed the time appointed” (Jeremiah 46:17).
A world watches with great concern as the Suez Canal could fall into the hands of hostile Egyptian leaders. The entire world economy could be devastated if it were to be closed.
The Christian world is intently observing the news from Egypt because of the Biblical prophecies regarding the country.
Egypt occupies a major role in the Bible. The Jewish people were saved during the famine in the land, and the baby Jesus was called out of the land of Egypt.
Egypt would fulfill one of the Biblical signs of the end of time and the return of Christ.
1. Egypt could become a final piece in the last days puzzle of hostile nations circling Jerusalem. Here is the good news coming out of this frightening event. Jesus gave Jerusalem being completely surrounded by enemies as a sign of His return when his disciples inquired about signs of His return: “And they asked him, saying , Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass? And he said , . . . And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh” Luke 7,8,20).
Current changes in Egypt may well result in a radical Muslim government. Then, Jerusalem would have Lebanon to the north, Syria and Jordan to the East, Egypt to the south and hostile ships to the West in the Mediterranean. “Hassan Nasrallah, the secretary-general of Hezbollah vows to target all Israeli ships in the Mediterranean with land based missiles. Also, Russia's naval supply and maintenance site near Syria's Mediterranean port of Tartus will be upgraded to accommodate heavy warships, the Russian Navy chief said on Monday. These will include guided-missile cruisers and even aircraft carriers said, Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky. Russia has stood as a faithful partner of the Arab states and enemy of Israel.
Preceding our Lord Jesus Christ’s return to reign on earth, the nations will converge on Jerusalem: “Behold, the day of the LORD cometh . . . For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle” . . . Then, “And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one” (Zechariah 14:1, 2, 9).
The big questions are, “Are these prophecies true? Is the Bible God’s Word? Can we know the future? The proof they are true is seen in all the past prophecies about Egypt that have been accurate.
2. The Bible accurately predicted Jesus would come out of Egypt. The Bible said: “When Israel [was] a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.” (Hosea 11:1). And again in the New Testament: “And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son” (Matthew 2:15). Jesus was taken into Egypt to escape Herod. Only after Herod died did He return to Israel.
3. The Bible accurately predicted Egypt would become a nation of false gods. The Bible foretold that Egypt would worship idols that would fail them. God called on them to get their gods to foretell the future: “Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods . . . For I beheld , and there was no man; even among them, and there was no counsellor , that, when I asked of them, could answer a word. Behold, they are all vanity; their works are nothing: their molten images are wind and confusion” (Isaiah 41:23-29). The remains of Egypt’s stone gods remain until this day.
4. The Bible accurately prophesied that Egypt would be devastated by the swords of an invader: “And the sword shall come upon Egypt, and great pain shall be in Ethiopia, when the slain shall fall in Egypt, and they shall take away her multitude, and her foundations shall be broken down. Ethiopia, and Libya, and Lydia, and all the mingled people, and Chub, and the men of the land that is in league, shall fall with them by the sword. Thus saith the LORD; They also that uphold Egypt shall fall ; and the pride of her power shall come down: from the tower of Syene shall they fall in it by the sword, saith the Lord GOD. And they shall be desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate , and her cities shall be in the midst of the cities that are wasted. And they shall know that I am the LORD, when I have set a fire in Egypt, and when all her helpers shall be destroyed ” (Ezekiel 30:4-8).
5. In Ezekiel 29:14-16 the Scripture said that Egypt would recover from defeat and they did: "And I will bring again the captivity of Egypt, and will cause them to return into the land of Pathros, into the land of their habitation; and they shall be there a base kingdom” (Ezekiel 29:14). Through Babylon decimated Egypt 2600 years ago, Egypt recovered from this and all future defeats. She remains one of the oldest cultures, often defeated but never destroyed.
6. It was accurately foretold by God’s Word that Egypt would always be a base, lowly nation. “And I will bring again the captivity of Egypt . . . and they shall be there a base kingdom. It (Egypt) shall be the basest of the kingdoms; neither shall it exalt itself any more above the nations: for I will diminish them, that they shall no more rule over the nations” (Ezekiel 29:14, 15). In two and a half centuries, Egypt has never regained her former glory and the ruins of her great days remain for tourist to see.
Egypt had been a great world power for centuries, but as the Bible prophesied she has been a "base" kingdom, never regaining her former glory; no longer ruling over other nations. Egypt has remained a “lowly kingdom” dominated by other nations: Babylon in the 6th century BC; Persians from the 6th to the 4th centuries; Greeks in the 4th century; Romans from the lst century BC to the 5th century AD; Arabs and Turks from the 7th century AD onwards. Even the British ruled in Egypt for a period in the 19th century. Egypt has remained, as Ezekiel prophesied it would, "a lowly kingdom", dominated by others, but not destroyed. Egypt as a kingdom was not destroyed, but survived with greatly reduced power - "a lowly kingdom", never presuming to exert power over the surrounding nations any more.
7. The Bible’s prophet said Egypt’s beloved idol gods would be destroyed. “Thus saith the Lord God: I will also destroy the idols and will cause the images to cease out of Noph (Memphis); and there shall be no more a prince of the land of Egypt ...’ (Ezekiel 30:13,14). The great monuments of Memphis, Egypt lie in ruins today and those ruins are littered with decaying idol gods. They remain for the world to look upon as a testimony to the accurate prediction of the Bible and the failure of their idols.
All other religious books are as incapable of foretelling the future as the stone gods of Egypt. The Bible alone was written by the true God. He alone knows the future and He alone can write history in advance.
Bible prophecy’s proven track record regarding Egypt gives us sound reasons to believe the future prediction that Egypt will be surrounded by enemies and attacked preceding Christ’s return to reign on earth! This prediction could be coming to pass out of Egypt's presemt turmoil.