GOD SPEAKS IN THE HURRICANES--ARE YOU LISTENING? By Moody Adams The Bible explains the message of the horrible hurricanes ravaging our world. God is speaking with a roaring voice, in the hurricanes: “The LORD shall roar from on high, and utter his voice from his holy habitation; … for the LORD hath a controversy with the nations, he will plead with all flesh; … Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Behold, evil shall go forth from nation to nation, and a great whirlwind shall be raised up from the coasts of the earth (Jeremiah 25:30-38). Who is listening?
In the hurricanes, God is telling of His furious anger at wicked mankind: “The whirlwind shows his power to punish. The clouds that pour down the floods are the dust from His furious feet. God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies. The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet. … The mountains quake at him, and the hills melt, and the earth is burned at his presence, yea, the world, and all that dwell therein. Who can stand before his indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? his fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by him. The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him. But with an overrunning flood he will make an utter end of the place thereof, and darkness shall pursue his enemies” (Nahum 1:2-4. 5-8).
Why is an angry God sending hurricanes? The following are 6 of the reasons.
In Jeremiah 23:19, the Bible says: “Behold, a whirlwind of the LORD is gone forth in fury, even a grievous whirlwind: it shall fall grievously upon the head of the wicked.” And in the chapter He gives five of the reason:
1. Sexual immorality, “For the land is full of adulterers“ (Jeremiah 23:10).
2. Profane language, “because of swearing” Jeremiah 23:10
3. Hypocrisy among religious leaders, “For both prophet and priest are profane; yea, in my house have I found their wickedness, saith the LORD“ (Jeremiah 23:11)
4. Tolerance of false religious teachers, “And I have seen folly in the prophets of Samaria; they prophesied in Baal, and caused my people Israel to err.
5. False prophets who promise peace to the wicked, “I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness: they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah … Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD). They say still unto them that despise me, … “ Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you“ (Jeremiah 23:14-17