by Moody Adams The following are the beliefs of Mormons, followed by what Christians believe.
1. Everyone but Mormons will be damned (History of the Church 3:28). All non-Mormons belong to "the church of the devil" (1 Nephi 14:10). Christians believe everyone who believes in Jesus will be saved, regardless of denomination (Bible, Acts 16:31).
2. Mormons teach that there are many Gods (McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 576-7; Joseph Fielding Smith, ed., The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 346-7 [pre-2002 edition]; Abraham 4:1, Pearl of Great Price; Gospel Principles, 245 [1997 edition]. Christian says there is only one God (Bible, Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6-8).
3. The Book of Mormon calls those "fools" who claim the Bible is all they need (2 Nephi 29:3-14). They say the Bible is unreliable and incomplete for faith (1 Nephi 13:23-42). To possess the truth men need: the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. (Deuteronomy 4:2). Christianity teaches the Bible is sufficient (Bible, Proverbs 30:6); Revelation 22:19 ; 2 Timothy 3:16-17).
4. Mormons do not accept the virgin birth of Jesus. Even though Mormons are usually quick to say they don't know how the conception of Jesus took place and allow for the possibility of something like artificial insemination, they all claim that Jesus had the Heavenly Father and Mary as parents. Mormon general authorities on the other hand have claimed that the conception of Jesus was perfectly natural (The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young 1:321; McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 546-7, and 742-3). The Bible declares Jesus was born of a virgin. Mary was with child and still a virgin (Bible, Matthew 1:18-25; Luke 1:26-35).
5. Mormons believe Adam was God and the father of Jesus Christ and also His brother Lucifer, the devil. "Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven... Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost" (LDS Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 1, p. 51, April 9, 1852). The Christian Bible says there is only one true God (Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6-8). He always has existed and always will exist (Bible, Deuteronomy 33:27; Psalm 90:2; 1 Timothy 1:17).
6. Christ did not die for all sins. Mormons teach there is no forgiveness for murderers "in this world, nor in the world to come." God only forgives adultery one time. (D&C 42:18 and 25-9). Christians believe Christ’s atoning blood “cleanses us from all sin” (Bible, I John 1:7).
7. God has cursed men with black skin (Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation 1:61-7; McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 527-8; 1st Presidency Statement, August 17, 1949). Mormonism also teaches that God blessed some who repented, giving them white skin (Alma 3:6-9; 2 Ne. 5:21-4; and 3 Ne. 2:14-6). Though Mormons say they have changed the Book of Mormons it declares blacks are cursed. Christianity teaches that God is color blind (Galatians 3:28; (Bible, Deuteronomy 10:17; Acts 10:34; Romans 2:11).
8. Mormon men believe they can become Gods, with their own planets in eternity (D&C 76:50-8 and 95, 132:15-23, 29, and 37; and Gospel Principles, 302 [1997 edition]). Any wives who get married in the temple can join their husband in the afterlife and help them populate their planet. The Christian Bible declares men and women will not mate in heaven (Bible, Matthew 22:30). They will be like the angels.